Lendlease’s $440 million Sunshine Plaza redevelopment has been awarded the Gold Sustainability Award and Silver Award for overall best Design and Development – Expansion at last week’s 2019 ICSC Asia Pacific Shopping Centre Awards in Singapore.
Sunshine Plaza is located on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast and is owned by APPF Retail and GPT. The redevelopment commenced construction in August 2016, as featured in SCN’s cover story in 2018, launched on the 28 March 2019, and was the only Australian project to be nominated in this category.
The total expansion of Sunshine Plaza’s redevelopment added 35,000m2 of retail space to the existing centre, and included more than 100 additional specialty stores such as MECCA, Sheike, lululemon, Seed Heritage, Endota Spa, JB Hi-Fi, Kathmandu, Baku and the region’s first David Jones and H&M stores.
“It’s great to see the Sunshine Plaza redevelopment recognised. It delivered the first super-regional shopping centre north of Brisbane and cemented the Centre’s position as a leading retail and lifestyle destination in Queensland.” said David McNamara, Fund Manager, APPF Retail.
“Our customers wanted a world-class experience while retaining a sense of place and community, and that’s what we’ve created at Sunshine Plaza” said McNamara.
Chris Barnett, Head of Retail, GPT said “Sunshine Plaza has always been one of GPT’s high performing retail assets, and the recent expansion has ensured it remains the leading retail, dining, entertainment and shopping destination on the Sunshine Coast.
“It’s rewarding to see the significant investment in this asset has been recognised, as we continue to deliver places that inspire and excite our customers.” said Barnett.
The ICSC Asia-Pacific Shopping Centre Awards Program recognises excellence within the region’s shopping centre industry.
“Taking home the Gold and Silver Awards is great recognition of Lendlease’s focus on delivering exceptional projects and places that are sustainable and meet the needs of our communities and customers.” said John Burton, Managing Director, Urban Regeneration.
Sunshine Plaza redevelopment sustainability initiatives:
• Installation of a 2,700-panel, 1.1 Megawatt solar power system that is one of the largest at any shopping centre in Australia. The system generates electricity equivalent to supplying 300 homes* and reduce emissions equivalent to taking approximately 370 cars off the road per year (reduction of CO2 emissions of over 1,400 tonnes per year) **
• Achieved a 5-star NABERS Energy rating where 3.5 Star is the industry average.
• The centre is on track to achieve 5- star Green Star Design & As Built v1.2 certification.
• The design of the redevelopment addressed climate change risk assessment
• Installation of the first Tesla supercharger station north of Brisbane CBD, capable of charging six vehicles and end-of-trip facilities for cyclists.
• Building fit-out incorporated energy efficient LED lighting and long-life fluorescent fittings, low volatile organic compounds (VOC) paints, adhesives sealants and carpets, high efficiency water fixtures and fittings, and 283,000-litre rainwater capture system.
APPF Retail Fund Manager, David McNamara, was recently featured in SCN’s Who’s Who in Investment profile, read more here