In July 2019, Lendlease announced the commencement of the $60 million redevelopment of Cairns Central. Today, Thursday 1 September, Queensland Treasurer and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick, got to see first-hand the progress being made on the redevelopment of the region’s leading shopping destination.
Lendlease, which manages Cairns Central and is overseeing the redevelopment, has made significant headway over the past year, with two stages of the Myer fit-out already complete and works underway on the Spence Street Express Parking Ramp.
Queensland Treasurer, Cameron Dick said: “I commend Cairns Central and Lendlease for investing in Far North Queensland. It’s great to see this $60 million redevelopment project keeping people in jobs and helping to create future jobs in retail.
“Our government is doing everything it can to support businesses through this pandemic, so this additional private investment to support jobs and the local community is very welcome.” he said.
Cairns Central for the first time can announce key retail tenancies which will join Woolworths in the new Food Hall, which is on track to open later this year, with Woolworths to launch in early 2021.
- Rise & Bake – the much-loved local bakery is opening a new store at the Centre and will be giving customers their favourite freshly baked breads and rolls, modern French crepes, classic French patisserie and locally roasted coffee.
- Hong Kong Street – a new authentic experience offering Hong Kong BBQ and the best yum cha dishes including dumplings and BBQ pork buns.
- Hero Sushi – specialising in freshly made Sushi and other Japanese meals trained by well-known Japanese Chef, delivering an authentic dining experience.
- Excel Fresh – a fresh food grocer, butchery and deli providing an extensive choice of quality fruit and vegetables, fresh meat and a wide selection of cheese, olives and cured meats.
- Hanaromart – a large and diverse range of Asian groceries inspired by authentic recipes with years of expertise in Asian food.
- BWS – offering the widest wide range of alcoholic beverages.
- Priceline – The Centre’s existing Priceline will relocate to the Food Hall to offer customers convenience access to an extensive health and beauty offer.
Lachlan Dyson, Lendlease Regional General Manager, Asset Management said: “We’re well on the way to delivering our vision for the redevelopment to give customers exceptional shopping experiences that reflect Cairns’ vibrant and diverse community.
“We’re thrilled to have such a diverse range of new retailers joining the centre to provide our customers with more food choices. Customers can also look forward to a new parking system which will be implemented in the coming months.” said Dyson.
The redevelopment, the first since the Centre opened 20 years ago, includes:
- The complete refurbishment of Myer, across a larger, single floor of approximately 7,500m2 with an improved retail experience and an increased number of new and exclusive brands
- A new food hall, anchored by Woolworths, offering exciting new dining options and food retailers
- New vehicle express ramp that will give customers easy and direct access to the food hall
- Greater parking convenience with the implementation of ticketless parking, and parking guidance system
- New amenities including a children’s play area
- Ambience and amenities upgrades including bathrooms, customer service desk, furnishings and finishes.